10 Tips to Beat Depression after 40: Welcome New Year with Positive energy
Dr. Anita Gautam
For most of women menopause may be time for stress, anxiety, fear, loneliness or frustration. As you are going through a stage of emotional roller coaster but family and friends may not always understand the situation. In addition, physical changes & hormonal changes lead to symptoms like hot flushes, sweating; vaginal dryness may increase agony or anxiety.
Rapid drop of estrogen hormones affect physical and emotional health. Other factors may also contribute like.
- Prior history of depression
- Lacking healthy life style
- Increase stress either from work or stressed interpersonal relationship
- Feeling of loneliness when kids grow up and become independent, spending less time with mother
- Not satisfy by financial situation or work status
- Not being supported by family and friends
Symptoms to look at:
- Irritability or anger out burst
- Anxiety, palpitation, restlessness,
- Feeling of guilt and worthlessness
- Difficulty in conclusion or decision making
- Difficulty in remembering thing
- Change in sleep or appetite pattern
- Unexpected physical pain
- Loss of interest in activities you used to enjoy earlier.
10 tips to beat depression after 40
- Sleep- proper sleep increase energy and memory. 7-9 hours of sleep is necessary for brain to restore its power. Try to follow a regular sleep schedule even on weekends. Avoid screen before sleeping time, instead reading a good book helps a lot. Avoid energy drink, caffeine or alcohol near sleeping time.
- Exercise- regular exercise increase blood circulation in brain. It decrease stress causing hormone and lift up the mood and energy. It also keeps your body fit and healthy.
- Healthy Diet- Diet should include low fat, fruits, leafy vegetable, whole grain. So you can avoid weight gain and keep your self fit.
- Relaxation techniques- when you are disturbed or not thinking properly or overwhelmed by your own emotions, try relaxation techniques. Go in a quiet place, close your eyes, and take deep breathing. Imagine yourself at your favorite vacation place and try to relax.
- Meditation- Yoga, meditation or pranayam relax you and send signals to brain to calm down. It also increases concentration power and memory of brain.
- Seek support group- You are not alone who is going through such situation. Make new friend, join social group and share your experiences. Cherish old friendship. A lot can happen over a cup of coffee with your bestie.
- Time for hobbies- Take out your paintbrush, which you forgot long back. Now it’s time for your hobbies or activities which you enjoyed a lot before marriage whether it was painting, knitting, singing, gardening or whatever.
- Learn new things- It is never too late to learn new things. Join classes, don’t be shy. Learning new thing out of comfort zone make your brain sharp and also give you new energy to face the challenge.
- Communication- Communication gap between any relationship acts as poison. So spend quality time with your kids and husband. You can join dance class with them or go for morning walk. Communication is key for healthy relationship.
Feeling happy by giving happiness- Lastly now you are slightly free from your responsibility, having some free time why not use this time to give back to society. Teach poor children, join some group, give some new meanings to life. Share happiness, you will feel great.
Vamaindia.in wishes you a postive year ahead! Happy New Year 2018.